- This event has passed.
August 3, 2021
August 3rd is Esther Earl’s birthday. Esther was a bright, talented, and cheerful girl. She passed away in 2010 at age 16, four years after being diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Before her death, author and friend John Green told Esther that he and his brother Hank would celebrate her birthday in any way she wished through their YouTube channel (Vlogbrothers). After some reflection, Esther decided she wanted it to be a day to celebrate love for family and friends by telling those who we are close to that we love them.
To celebrate Esther’s generous and positive spirit, you can:
- Tell someone how much you care for them
- Make a card to show someone how much you care for them
- Read This Star Won’t Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl, by Esther Earl with Lori and Wayne Earl (copies are available at the BFL)
- Read The Fault in our Stars by John Green (copies are available at the BFL)
- Visit Esther Day — This Star Won’t Go Out to be inspired
- Check out our Esther Day display in the library
Make a donation to the BFL Board of Trustees' Annual Fund